Tuesday, January 22, 2008

damned dirty dishes

Ritey, firstly the picture, a little bit of an oxymoron. A scene both famliar and unfamiliar to probably every student. Unfortunately Ive had to resort to an 18mm on a Nikon digital which means Ive lost a lot of the view, a bit of a shame as to the right there was a huge pile of dirty dishes and to the left was another huge pile of drying plates. Needless to say I washed only my plate for my meal. Btw, i dont use domestos to clean my dishes (that would probably be slight overkill) Anyway, a mundane scene one again, theres certainly no punctum in this babey.

In the long term Im not 100% how Im doing with this project, still in two minds. One thing is Im aiming for the mundane alongside the first person pov, yet I feel theres more I can do. Problem is is with finding photographers to find influence from. Google doesnt offer much help, nor does wiki or flickr - the most I get is some video games. And despite this being nottingham I think I may run a little risk carrying a gun in front of me....boy that would be interesting trying to explain that to the police. Anyway If anyone happens to know of any photographers that would be worth checking out? Many thanks.

6 comments:

sassy said...

dood, im really enjoyin your pictures and look forward to seeing what you come up with! interesting + thought provoking stuff! love it *

Tom said...

cheers! I think this has been the most enjoyable project so far, really got me out photographing.

Helen said...

I think these phtos are making a fab theme!
I like how youve tried to make them in to the 1st person by having them distorted rather than a flat image and it works really well, Keep it up!!

Owain said...

I love your project Tom, it's a great idea and perspective and you're carrying it off really well so definitely keep going with it!

I did some a while back now, mainly fecking about with movement and motion because they were all done on things like slides, zip wire swings, normal swings, roundabouts, etc. Not sure if that's an idea for you or not ...

One of my friends back home is doing a course in Film Production now and she did something from a first person perspective; except it was a dog's perspective but, anyway, I shall ask her about that and see if she has any useful information ...

Owain said...

Not been in contact with her yet but, this is the film they made:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MDPkvYUuPxg

Says it was inspired by the work of Elliott Erwitt, his website is:

http://www.elliotterwitt.com/

Hope that's of some use.

Tom said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Nice little film, cheers owain. I recognise some of Elliot Erwitt's work, but not wholly. Cheers for the mental nudge!