Thursday, January 31, 2008

Reflections

This afternoon I hobbled painfully to the NHS 'walk' in centre, Why do they put a walk in centre in the middle of an industrial estate away from any kind of public transport? Is it like some kind of weird joke on the 'differently' able with no cars. After (suprisingly speedy) hour wait the nurse told me that Id been walking too much - no sh*t! and that the painkillers I was usuing wouldnt work on me - fan-friggin-tastic! (Apparently this certain kind of pain killers only works on 2/3's of the population - whilst the rest arnt supposed feel pain or something?) Needless to say I want in the best of forms on collapsing into bed arriving home, in an emotional (frustrated) state. So I aplogise for my rant and grumblings, but it helps...

To the photo...! The workgroup this afternoon kinda flummoxed me a little, I needed some new Idea's but then thats easier said than done, as Im sure all of you know. Im happy with the ones in the mirror, although there only so much you can do infront of a mirror (Ill let you interpret that how you like) So I thought the thing linking them together was reflection, a few idea's emerged. One was for a reflection in a store front, although on my lonesome its difficult to get the second head to toe shot, so Ill give that one a go another time, i wanted to try something in the bathroom with reflection in water - then I looked at my bathroom. A dark dingy dank hole and realised it probably wouldnt work, no joy there then.

Reminiscing on old times in a snooze, I came up with this. I wanted to try and represent memories here, which is really rather difficult. So with the aid of photos littering my wall I used these and tried to re-enact the reflection of my face from the gloss of the prints. I took one photo of the photos and another of myself. I used a mask to cut out all of my face except for the bits reflected by the photo. Those parts not masked I blurred to try and immitate the certain lack of defition in our memories.

Im not 100% on this one, also can people let me know if you cant see it on your screens.. I wanted it to appear faded. Hopefully I shall think of some more fruitful Idea's over the weekend..

2 comments:

alfie said...

your face looks colossal.

Owain said...

I like this one a lot Tom, a multi-faceted look at reflections! Again very cleverly done, I think the thought and effort being put into making these photographs pays off!

The NHS can be a pain (no pun or other lower form of joke intended) sometimes but, I'm still glad we have one!