Saturday, January 19, 2008

My lens


This one was quite a challenge, but Im quite happy with the result. Returning to the mundane everyday actions I chose (attempted) to photograph me putting a contact lens. I pleased with how it connects with the viewer as if your getting poken in the eye with this plastic lens. Its nice to defy the laws of physics every now or then - even if it was cheating a little.
Not exactly an off the cuff reportag image, there was a little though and time in construction in this image, see if you can guess how it was done first...
..nope?
Well, I began with sitting the camera on the bottom of the mirror, on timer, that gave me the picture of myself you see in the mirror. Secondly I whacked the camera on a tripod and posed my hands infront, this is everything outside the mirror - including my hands. Then came the tough bit, photoshopping the buggers together. Basically I used the layer masks on the layer of the reflection, for speed and ease I used the magnetic polygon lasoo tool to select what I wanted in the mask and deleted the rest. That gave a few jaggy edges and the lens was a bit of a nightmare what with the reflections and the such. Half an hour of cloning, masking and unmasking and dodging/burning and we have the above...Im not sure if that last bit made to much sense.

4 comments:

Annie Jewell said...

Tom this is amazing , i was totally confused by it!

SeanWakefield said...

hahaha, this is amazing!

Owain said...

That's feindishly well done! Supoib!

sassy said...

how the hell??
you are brilliant!