Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Through my view

Any documentary photograph is taken with the perception of the photographer, with varying degrees. With this image Im taking this to the extreme to represent my world with a first person stance in an obvious manner. From this I shall hopefully explore - with the aid of a camera - a little more into my everyday activities in an attempt to create a visual kind of diary.

When photographing this image the first thing I did was use a wide angle lens to recreate the field of view. The lighting conditions here were quite low meaning any flash used would illuminate the image, but a black band would appear on the bottom. As a result I decided to go for a more natural image, through controlling the ISO. This created a lot of grain, however the lighting is more as one would see it and I feel it adds to the mood a little more.

5 comments:

Helen said...

I really like this image. Its not often we get to see an image that is so obviously the 1st person view it makes me engage with it as if I was playing pool.

Also which Mr Bean sketch did you mean, I want this for my workbook!

And the comments you made about documentary photography, what are you reading to help if you are reading anything at all?

Tom said...

Ah its http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlmO4YHmQ_4 a favourite when i was 8 :) in fact it still is!

Thanks for the comment, its just generally about documentary style photographers, such as Martin Parr, Trent Parke and generally anything from http://www.in-public.com/ If not done any specific reading much yet - my poor old workbook isnt getting much attention at the moment

Hat said...

Love it!! such a simple idea but it works so well and it feels surreal looking from your perspective

sassy said...

wow! love that snooker shot! duno how much of a daft question this is....but how the hell did u get in there?? have you got a removable head and three extra arms?!
love it =)

Tom said...

haha, wide angle lens all the way :). I was usuing a 12-24 nikon at about the widest angle, then just holding up to my eye. Amazing the field of view it gives.